Thursday, November 20, 2008

Job questions...

This afternoon I have a job interview with the local hospital. I did not expect them to call me because on my online application, I put a pretty high required salary. Now, I have a huge dilemma! If they offer me the job at my required salary, should I take it? It will be full time so I will make decent money but then I won't be able to teach for the university I just graduated from.
I have tried to list the pros and cons to myself but I can't make a coherent decision so I am asking my devoted follower(s) to help!
Good side of this job (if I get it)
1. Steady paycheck
2. Possibility of upward mobility
3. Getting out of the house
Bad side of this job
1. Not as much as I want to be paid
2. Won't be able to teach
3. Not in my field
4. Work during the summer

Good side of not getting job...
1. Can teach at college level if I want to
2. Can still substitute teach at local schools for money
3. Summers off (mostly)
4. Will not be accepting job outside my field just for money
5. Experience in teaching
Bad side of not getting job...
1. College position will not start until January at the earliest.
2. Don't know if i have college position
3. Both college and substitutue teaching only pay once a month
4. No upward mobility in either teaching job.

So, if I could have the best of both worlds, I would work at the hospital with flex time allowed for teaching at the college one night a week. Should I mention this at the interview? or if they offer me the job?

2 comments:

~B. said...

I think that you just never know where this will lead you once you get the position. You just never know. And maybe you just need to get your feet wet there and see what happens.

But I also think that January isn't so far off. And I personally know that there's nothing quite like a job (even at the smallest amount per hour) that "fits" with your family to make you happy.

I hate to say anything to lean you in any direction. But I DO want to wish you luck and say go get 'em!

~B. said...

How was the interview? Any chance that you'll be home for Christmas?