Sunday, October 12, 2008

Some observations on women and home improvement....


I have been working on this house for almost 5 weeks in between all the other things that women do in the course of a normal day and I have noticed something. Men (and women) who work at hardware stores think that women are stupid and incapable. I think I know why....
Women ask questions. They want to know everything there is to know about a project before they start it. Men come into a store and ask one question, assume the rest, go home, screw it up and then come back, ask one question, repeat the process until they finally finish the project.
Since it is usually men that work in these places, they are not used to a women asking a multitude of questions, just in case. I think this gives the impression that women are incapable.
Case in point...
I decided that I wanted all new plug and switch plates in the rooms that I had just painted. I went to the local hardware store and I was looking at them and I thought, "If I put these on, it will just make the actual plugs and switches look even worse." So I decided that I wanted to change out the plugs and switches also. I did not know how to do this (BTW it is extremely easy, if you ask enough questions) but I figured that I could learn. I proceed to ask a bunch of questions. I figured, with a woman helping me, she would think that I am competent. Apparently not. She actually asked me for my phone number because she thought her husband should come over and do it, "Just in case." I thought I was going to scream!!!!!!!!! Just in case what? I knew how to turn the power off, I wasn't going to electrocute myself. If I had wanted someone to do this for me, I would have hired a handyman.
In the end, I replaced them all and I taught my 11 yr old daughter how to do it also!!!! Just goes to show that anything boys can do, I can do better!!!!!

http://www.funny2.com/menandwomen.htm

1 comment:

~B. said...

Hell to the YES! You go girl!!! Totally proud of you. HUGS!