Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Musings on children... and a challenge....

Do you ever look at your child(ren) and wonder how they are what they are? I know, confusing! but this morning as I was dropping my child off at the bus stop, something happened to make me wonder.
Let me set the stage... This is a community bus stop where all the kids who live outside the school district come to get on the bus. Yes, this school allows children from the city district to go to this school.. but I digress. There was a bit of a traffic holdup at the entrance to the parking lot because one of the children did not want to get out of mom's car. She ended up physically hauling him out and handing him to his high school age brother to carry on to the bus. He was pretty small and I think just in kindergarten. It broke my heart to see him with his little fists balled up in his eyes as he sobbed his heart out. His mother's expression was one of frustration mixed with sadness. My heart went out to her also. Probably, he was the baby of the family and she knows that this part of the learning experience but letting go and forcing him is very hard. I could have been frustrated with the delay but instead I was authentic. I took it for what it was and was not judgemental!
Anyways, this got me thinking about Cee's first day of kindergarten. I had no clinging crying child! I had a diva who didn't even want me to walk her in! She was ready! If there was any fear, she wasn't showing it. NO!
Cee is such a mix of my husband and I that it amazes me. She has his hair, cow-licks and all. From the cheekbones up, she looks like him but has my nose (thank goodness) and lips but then his body type and my skin tone. Her feet will be small like mine but with long toes like his.
Personality wise, she is even more of a mix. She has my eye for art and his ear for music. She has the most eclectic taste in music also, anything from New Republic to Kiss with some country thrown in just to mix it up. She even likes some of the old school rappers like MC Hammer and Sir Mix-a-lot.
She can be shy in some cases but she shows no fear in new situations. She will be very clingy leading up to something but the minute she is in the public eye, she acts like nothing is out of the norm. I know she gets this from her dad, he is all about not making a scene in public. She is friendly and outgoing (me) and demanding and perfect (him) She like social studies (me) and dislikes reading for pleasure (him). She tries new food when available (him) but will eat the same thing days in a row (me.) She is athletic (him) but can be a klutz (me.)
I am just amazed at the mix God has thrown at me and every day, something happens to show me how wonderful my child is.
I know everyone feels the same way about their children so I challenge you to take a look at your kids and recognize their similarities and differences from you and from their siblings and love each one!

1 comment:

~B. said...

That was beautiful...I seriously am tearing up from reading it.

She sure is all that...and a bag of baby carrots. :)