Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My take on the birds and bees talk with Cee

Cee was in 2nd grade and we were all sitting at the dinner table one Sunday night. I was talking that she had school the next day but her dad and I were both off because it was a federal holiday. My husband is in the kitchen getting something from the fridge and asks, "What holiday?" I say, "Columbus Day."
"Oh, you mean Rape and Pillage Day." My eyes immediately snap to Cee who asks "What does that mean?" I tell hubby that he has to explain that one so he gives her a very general overview of the Native American side of Europeans coming to America and mentions that some diseases that came over that caused great harm with the Native population. Because she is clever and smart and at this time, wants to become a doctor. I tell her about measles and small pox. Darling hubby says, "Don't forget syphilis." Again, I am ready to be a single parent because this opens up a whole new can of worms. So now I have to give a basic overview of Tab A into Slot B. I finish by telling her that if she has any questions to think it over and let me know if she needs to talk about tomorrow.
Hoping that she has no questions the next day, I tuck her into bed and then let my husband know what I think of his snide little comments.....
The next day, she tells me that she does have a question about how the body works.
I go in, sit on the floor next to her, no eye contact possible, take a deep breath and wait for the shoe to drop.
She asks, very seriously, "Why do fingernails grow?"
I'm dumbfounded but apparently, she had no desire to go into what she now considers "R-rated material."
Go figure.........

1 comment:

~B. said...

Totally giggling here...that's too cute.